Shoes and handbags are highly coveted pieces of fashion, and even art. They get used, but more importantly, they get collected. That’s why a woman needs a highly fashionable space to store them. One that reflects your superlative style and is designed to show off your collection – after all, doesn’t it deserve to be showcased beautifully?
Showcasing the beauty of your collection means designing it with a “wow factor” in mind. Here are some basic starting points for making your closet a conversation piece.
- Use angled shelves to show off each pair of shoes. This will also make for easy access.
- Stagger your shelf heights to accommodate tall/ankle boots, heels, wedges, etc.
- Store each pair with one facing out and one facing in. This way, you know what the shoe looks like from the front and the back. This adds not only a nice visual touch, but allows you to see heel heights and shoe style when choosing what to wear.
- Your “star” handbags should be treated as such. Display them on the best-looking shelf you have, or place them in individual “cubbies.”
- They should be kept upright at all times, and if possible, stuffed with paper when not in use. This will help them to stay upright and to keep their form.
- If you own several clutch-style purses, it is a good idea to store them in clear containers. This way, they stay in-place and organized, but can still be shown off. You can even organize them by color or other visual identifiers to make a statement.
- Stay away from hangers and hooks. They will distort the shape of your handbags. Only use hangers and hooks for short-time storage.
Finally, always remember: A beautifully displayed collection must also be expertly organized and usable.
Everything special you own should have a chance to be worn, and should be taken care of. For “wow factor” closets, there is no beauty in chaos!
Toll Brothers’ partner ClosetMaid contributed to this story.