There are many aspects of your home that you want to consider when deciding who the right home builder is for you. An important one is the home’s energy efficiency. It is essential that you find a home builder that is committed to building you a beautiful home in a way that reduces the impact on the environment, and also provides energy savings with long-lasting value and comfort.
Here are four energy efficiency considerations:
- High-Efficiency HVAC (heating and air conditioning)
Having a high-efficiency HVAC system can save you as much as 20 percent on your energy costs. It is important that a high-efficiency system be installed with air tight duct sealing.
- High-Efficiency Insulation
Sealing and insulating the shell of your home including walls, windows, and doors is essential when considering an energy efficient home.
- Walls– Installing insulation with higher R-Values ensures that your insulation has a greater ability to resist heat flow, both in and out of your home.
- Windows & Doors– Windows and doors that are air tight sealed will help eliminate drafts. Consider low-E windows which have an almost invisible metallic coating to reflect heat back into your home in the winter, and away from your home in the summer.
- Water Saving Plumbing
Plumbing fixtures in homes consume a considerable amount of water for necessary activities. Installing faucets meeting the EPA’s WaterSense® rating and dual-flush toilets will conserve water.
- Energy Star® Appliances
Energy Star Appliances can help you save energy, money, and the environment. In order for a product to earn the Energy Star® rating, it must meet strict energy efficiency criteria set by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency.
Now that you’ve learned several energy efficient considerations to be aware of when choosing your home builder, keep in mind there are other options you can incorporate into your home to make it more energy efficient including solar panels or landscaping for shading your west facing windows. Visit our Toll Green website to learn more about what Toll Brothers does to make our homes energy efficient.
View all posts in this series
- How to Make the Perfect Home-Builder Match - May 1, 2012
- What to Look for in a Home Builder – Part 1: Quality of Construction - March 11, 2013
- What to Look for in a Home Builder – Part 2: Best Neighborhoods - April 8, 2013
- What to Look for in a Home Builder – Part 3: The ability to really personalize the home - May 16, 2013
- What to Look for in a Home Builder – Part 4: Your New Home Gives You Freedom! - June 11, 2013
- What to Look for in a Home Builder – Part 5: The Best Living Spaces - July 15, 2013
- What to Look for in a Home Builder – Part 6: Energy Efficiency - August 12, 2013
- What to Look for in a Home Builder – Part 7: Architecture and Design - September 16, 2013
- What to Look for in a Home Builder – Part 8: Summary - October 14, 2013
- Toll Brothers Named #1 Home Builder in Fortune Magazine 2016 Survey of World’s Most Admired Companies Ranks #6 Among All 1,500 Companies in Survey for Quality of Products/Services - March 11, 2016
- 4 Things to Consider When Buying a New Home - June 26, 2017
- Maximizing the Benefits of Natural Light - September 5, 2017
- Toll Brothers Honored with 11 Awards at The Nationals - January 10, 2018
- A Luxury Lifestyle: 3 Architectural Mainstays of California - January 16, 2018
- New Tech in Your New Kitchen Featuring Jenn-Air - June 7, 2018