Everyone has different ideas of where and how they would like to live when they retire. Some have it all planned out in their heads and some have vague ideas of what they would like but nothing definite.
Today, there are so many options and different things to think about when it comes to an Active Adult Community especially when you are planning to move to a new location.
To help you do this, we decided to make a checklist for you to use on your dream home-hunting journey!
- Determine what locations or regions of the country are you interested in living in. Keep in mind the climate, environment, and population density that you would prefer.
- Keep in mind the proximity to family members and friends
- Would you like to live in a themed community? Some examples are: Golf, a campus like setting, Countryside, Seaside, Oceanfront, Resort, Lakeside, or Mountain setting.
- Healthy Living – do you need access to fitness centers, personal trainers, fitness classes, masseuses and spas, indoor and/or outdoor pools and/or trails for walking, jogging and biking?
- Access to educational programs or networks aligned with local universities.
- Do cultural programs such as art, theater, music or opera appeal to your needs?
- Hospitality – Concierge services, dining options, social coffee and wine bars, access to inviting and relaxing indoor and outdoor gathering spaces.
- Smart housing – Includes features such as personalized and automated control of lighting, heating and cooling, natural light, and security
- Service amenities – This can include banks, libraries, private transportation to local attractions and shopping centers just steps away
- Social Amenities – Entertainment and interaction can be very important – mixers/social hours, holiday parties, game rooms, special events and attractions, musical entertainment, cultural activities and events. Theater, classes (art, cooking, lectures, etc.) social game activities (bridge, poker, billiards), wine clubs and more
- Communities that embrace the continued development of specific, lifelong hobbies: horticulture, woodworking, astronomy, music, art, etc.
- Quality low-maintenance living
- Options/flexibility to personalize homes
- Beautiful and spacious grounds, gardens, walks, and trails
- Friendly neighborhood surroundings
- Pet-friendly environment
So there you have it, at the very least we hope this list gets you moving in the right direction so you are ready to get started without the worry of forgetting key features or items that are important to you.