When you are looking to sell your home and move into a new home, there are ways that you can make your current home look its best so that you can sell it quicker and get your asking price.
Here are a few home staging to increase interest and generate offers:
- The exterior of your home is the first impression. Make sure it’s clean and has curb appeal. Bushes should be trimmed and have pots of flowers if you don’t have plantings. The grass should always be mowed. The sidewalk leading to the home should be swept and clean. Repaint the front door an inviting trendy color if necessary.
- Leave your lights on. You’re not hiding anything and light reflects off of all surfaces creating brightness and warmth.
- De-clutter! No extra magazines, kids’ toys, or collections of personal items. Try to pack anything you don’t use on a daily basis, including all of your personal photographs. You want your buyer to imagine their family living in your home. Renting a storage unit is an inexpensive way to store the boxes. Also store any big pieces of furniture that might be making your rooms look smaller.
- Clear off the kitchen counter. Put away the small appliances and neatly arrange the necessities. All major appliances need to shine inside and out. People do look in your refrigerator and oven!
- Set the kitchen table. Have the kitchen and/or dining room table arranged with placemats and settings as if you are having a gathering. Add fresh flowers for an elegant touch.
- Clean the windows. Make sure they, as well as the lighting fixtures, are sparkling inside and out. Hire a cleaning service to do a deep clean if necessary. Depending on the time of year, having the carpets professionally cleaned can be a good idea, too.
- Organize the bedrooms. The beds should always be made. All clothes and shoes neatly organized in your closets. Pack out of season clothes so your closets look more spacious.
- Clean the bathrooms. Bathrooms should shine and smell fresh. Always have clean towels displayed. Pack any extra towels you might have so your linen closet looks roomy.
- Tidy up the basement. Unfinished basements should be free of cobwebs and the mechanicals should be clean. Change the furnace filter if necessary. Use higher wattage light bulbs to brighten the area. If you have a finished basement, all of the above applies.
- Talk to your neighbors. Let them know you are marketing your home. You never know when one of them might know someone who is looking for a home in your neighborhood. Show them your home if they haven’t seen it yet.
Buying and selling a home at the same time can be stressful, but with these few tips it will be a breeze.
For more staging tips, please visit Toll Brothers’ Curb Appeal – Inside & Out board on Pinterest.
Toll Brothers’ Sales Associate, Mary Meyer, contributed to this story.